French at Elms Farm
Welcome to MFL at Elms Farm Community Primary School!
This subject and website page is currently in the process of being re-branded and relaunched. As part of this process, the school has subscribed to Language Angels.
There are currently twelve strands to the National Curriculum about languages:
Pupils should be taught to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- Engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help
- Speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- Develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases
- Present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- Describe people, places, things and actions orally* and in writing Languages – key stage 2 3
- Understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, including (where relevant): feminine, masculine and neuter forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English.
Students can also access Duolingo for Schools at home.
Interesting dates in France
Tuesday 2nd February La Chandeleur, Fête de la Lumière or Jour des crêpes celebrating 40 days since Christmas.
Wednesday 14 July Bastille Day 2021 in France
Saturday 8th May 2021 Victory in Europe Day
Remote learning in French
Duolingo is being trialled in some year groups.