Art & Design
Art and Design at Elms Farm
Children at Elms Farm love the arts, it is their chance to show off their creativity and inject some personality into their work. The Arts are celebrated well throughout school and children are given ample opportunity to partake in art, music and drama activities.
Parents have been very involved with the arts at Elms Farm through parent workshops, creating and helping with art projects at home and coming to see class and school assemblies.
Children partake in weekly art and music sessions based around their current ILP topics per year group and drama sessions are built into English sessions. Children are given the opportunity to develop their skills across each year group and phase and put this into practice.
We are also part of a Creative Connections network of schools which allows Elms Farm to take part in art, drama and dance events working with local schools and partnership artists and venues.
• to enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their
own ideas to use in their work;
• to develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
• to improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
• to increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times
• to develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
• to foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists,
• crafts people and designers
Remote Learning in Art
We continue to provide our art curriculum through remote teaching. We know that art lessons need to be flexible to suit the needs of our children and our community. We will be tracking the teaching that has been provided and use this in understanding where pupils are to formulate a back to school plan. We are adapting our art teaching in order to equip our children with similar skills they would be developing in school.
Take a look at some of our fantastic artwork completed during lockdown so far...
We are delighted to announce that we are on the Artsmark journey this year at Elms Farm. We are currently working towards gaining Artsmark award for the school. Over the next year we are looking to enhance and enrich our arts provision at Elms Farm including parent workshops, staff CPD, arts ambassadors and lots of exciting projects involving other schools and local Birmingham venues such as IKON gallery. Watch this space for more...