Art & Design
Art and Design at Elms Farm
Children at Elms Farm love the arts, it is their chance to show off their creativity and inject some personality into their work. The Arts are celebrated well throughout school and children are given ample opportunity to partake in art, music and drama activities.
Parents have been very involved with the arts at Elms Farm through parent workshops, creating and helping with art projects at home and coming to see year group performances and assemblies.
Children partake in weekly art and music sessions based around their current topics per year group and drama sessions are built into English sessions. Children are given the opportunity to develop their skills across each year group and phase and put this into practice. The skills progression document and long term plan allows for progression across the year group and the skills and concrete knowledge are built upon year on year.
We are also part of a Creative Connections network of schools which allows Elms Farm to take part in art, drama and dance events working with local schools and partnership artists and venues. We have enjoyed poetry slams, workshops with artists, poets and illustrators and also had our work on display around school and at the IKON gallery in Birmingham.
• to enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their
own ideas to use in their work;
• to develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
• to improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
• to increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times
• to develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
• to foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists,
• crafts people and designers