History at Elms Farm
Elms Farm Primary School values history because it helps our children to understand how people and places have developed over time. History helps them to appreciate the achievements of humanity and understand the values of their own and other communities.
- To instil in the children, a curiosity and understanding of events, places and people in a variety of times and environments.
- To develop an interest in the past and an appreciation of human achievements and aspirations
- To understand the values of our society
- To learn about the major issues and events in the history of our own country and of the world and how these events may have influenced one another
- To develop a knowledge of chronology within which the children can organise their understanding of the past
- To understand how the past was different from the present and that people of other times and places may have had different values and attitudes from ours
- To understand the nature of evidence by emphasising the process of enquiry and by developing the range of skills required to interpret primary and secondary source materials
- To distinguish between historical facts and the interpretation of those facts
- To understand that events have a multiplicity of causes and that historical explanation is provisional, debatable and sometimes controversial