Elms Farm Primary School values Science because it makes an increasing contribution to all aspects of everyday life. All children are naturally curious about their environment and Science is a practical way of finding reliable answers to questions we may ask about the world around us. Science in our school is about developing children’s ideas and ways of working that enable them to make sense of the world in which they live through investigation, as well as using and applying process skills.
- Preparing our children for life in an increasingly scientific and technological world today and in the future.
- Helping our children acquire a growing understanding of the nature, processes and methods of scientific ideas.
- Helping develop and extend our children’s scientific concept of the world.
- Building on our children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to problems.
- Encouraging open-mindedness, self-assessment, perseverance and developing the skills of investigation – including: observing, measuring, predicting, hypothesising, experimenting, communicating, interpreting, explaining and evaluating.
- Developing the use of scientific language, recording and techniques.
- Developing the use of computing in investigating and recording.
- Making links between Science and other subjects.